Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {The List-} Multiplayer

Introduction

Multiplayer was a feature added very late to Civ 2 and was also not included in original Civ 3. Civ 4 Must come with this vital part of the game included as a fundamental concept.

Summary

Mos tof the ideas raised are for increasing flexibility of the MP games. LAN connectiing to Internet for example. Unfortuanlty from the lack of posting here, I can only summize that the majority of people are not interested in a MP version of the game, and therefore Firixis were right in their judgment call of not including it in the game. This does make me sad however the voices have spoken, or rather not spoken!

The Ideas

1.1 Ability to have LAN and Internet conections in same game.

1.2.0 Ability to play a PBEM-version of the game - smooth and without problems (from the game itself that is...... fx. a save-game file is created on the desktop ready to forward by ending the turn - protected by a password if such is choosen - and easy to open by double-cliking on the save-game file - eventually by entering the password.

1.2.1 Ability for the same number of players to play PBEM-games using the standard-game as the maximum number of players allowed in the game.

Alternative play the game with up to 8 human players and xx AI's up to the maximum number of players allowed in the game.

1.2.2 If/when an official patch is released, players should be able to finish running games without uninstalling the patch.

1.3 HotSeat Remain for all those without LAN or PBEM or Fast Internet

2.0 Multiplayer: Shared Civilization Control Support Apolyton

It would be nice if multiple players could share control of the same civilization in multiplayer. They could split up tasks among each other - one would deal with moving units, another with production... or they could each take care of a region of the civilization, or they could decide to split their responsibilities in another way or not split them at all (the decision would not need to be enforced by the game). It would make games with huge civilizations more managable and also probably speed them up.

2.1 Certain Events to be Voted on. If using shared control option

3.0 I think that Civ4 should be multiplayer form the ground up
    while I rarely play civ3 multiplayer (it is not the best to do that way) that is still how I normally play it because I like playing wtih my friends one possibiltier to make civ4 mroe multiplayer iis this
    make it so that every game had a server this server woudl handle things like AI and where everthing is for a single person game you would be your own server bur for a lan or internet game people woudl connect to the server (and the server might not even be playing) make the two sort of independent the idea of conquests was a good one, and something like that should continue to exist but Is till ike the epic game best, and I think a lto of other people do also

4.1 massive multiplayer idea 1

one idea of massive internet play is this (can probably be done on the lan also)
    have a game start on a server
    make an AI governor sort of thing
    and than play with simultaneous turns, with the turn thing set for some constant unit of time which is suffiencently long
    have a password to enter your game
    have different servers set for different speeds
    and so you (and your freinds) can play as a civ on one server that is going in real time
    and for the turns youc an't be there, you have the AI run things
    o a server would just be running constantly, and you would log on and play some turns
    but while you were gone it would keep on playing (AIs would control)
    you could also make the time control geographically depended, like a given server could be set to have time stopped for vertain hours of the day
    than the game would go on from like 8-12 on modays, wednesday, and fridays, and if you don't show up, you have a compter (which yuo gave orders to) play for you

4.2 massive multiplayer idea 2

this idea is a little more different

basically you start a game
    and the server has a whole bunch of people who start at roughly the same time start playing at once
    and it keeps track of what sort of land you have and the like, as well as ech you have and what date it is
    and than you log off
    next time you play, you log on again, but none of your last group are on right now
    so the server sticks you with a new group
    this group is at the same time as you
    but it is a different world, made by the server as an amogumatino of your previous world, and their previous world(s)
    and oyu have the same techs as before and the like
    but of course alliances and trades would no longer be in effect
    and it could be sort of hard to make a new world to fit everyone's empires in
    I admit that this is a wierd idea, it iis interestng though

5.0 Speed of turns

One of the biggest complaints re multiplayer is how slow it gets. A lot of this time is the amount of units especially workers that must be managed. To assit in multiplayer, the worker function must be addressed whic is of course the subject of other thread. But perhaps the use of CTP style Public works would be good. You could set all these tasks whilst others are having their turns and then on your turn the tasks are conducted.

6.0 Ability to play PBEM-games based on scenarios.

6.1 Ability to change leader-names/emailing adresses during the game. That would really help other players/game moderators during a game.

Conclusion

In conclusion I just reiterate my summary in that lack of posting here will cause a lack of a good MP game.

Respectfully Compiled by -Rasputin
    With special thanks to:
    Last edited by Rasputin; June 25, 2004, 18:10.
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

I would like to be able to split tasks both by units/ production and by region.

3.0 Certain Events to be Voted On by MPers.

If this refers to my suggestion, shouldn't it be 2.1 or something? I was talking about shared civilization control where each player of the same civ has exclusive control of a task or region and also votes on certain things.

Comment

ok wasnt too sure,, will change it thanks

Comment

a useful thread

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

thanks jon....

Comment

well, I was just reminding you about my two posts (at least) on the subject on the first page

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

yep sorry i have just started the collection of multiplayer ideas tonight, have added your commetns now, i was sincere in my thanks....

Comment

1.2.0 Ability to play a PBEM-version of the game - smooth and without problems (from the game itself that is...... fx. a save-game file is created on the desktop ready to forward by ending the turn - protected by a password if such is choosen - and easy to open by double-cliking on the save-game file - eventually by entering the password.

1.2.1 Ability for the same number of players to play PBEM-games using the standard-game as the maximum number of players allowed in the game.

Alternative play the game with up to 8 human players and xx AI's up to the maximum number of players allowed in the game.

1.2.2 If/when an official patch is released, players should be able to finish running games without uninstalling the patch.

6.0 Ability to play PBEM-games based on scenarios.

6.1 Ability to change leader-names/emailing adresses during the game. That would really help other players/game moderators during a game.

My wishes is based on CTP - some might already be possible in CTP2 and/or Civ3.
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Hotseat is probably the only form of multiplayer I would play, so I'd want to make sure it's in.

On second thought, how often will more than two players be sharing one Civ? If you only have two, you would have to be competetive in population of your region, and wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

One player could set general governor settings, but the other could veto for cities in his or her region.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
                    Hotseat is probably the only form of multiplayer I would play, so I'd want to make sure it's in.

On second thought, how often will more than two players be sharing one Civ? If you only have two, you would have to be competetive in population of your region, and wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

One player could set general governor settings, but the other could veto for cities in his or her region.
                    Well i think it good idea if it possbile to allow either players on a LAN or Internet to share their civ. you might have one that has veto rights who is the major civ player and others that perfrom governors jobs...

Why you only play HOTSEAT???

Comment

I don't want to tie up my phone like for a game, and I don't want to coordinate with people outside my house.

Comment

ok, that true, but perhaps by time Civ4 is released you will have cable or DSL connection, i think the vast majority of internet will be Broadband connection within 3 years and that will free up phone line and enable better MP games.....

Comment

bump...

Comment

A little bit more flexibility when a player leaves the game. Currently, if a player loses his internet connection, the game will wait for him to reconnect...for 60 seconds I think. If the player fails to reconnect, his civ is instantly destroyed.

Could the game be paused until the host of the game makes a determination regarding the status of the player? A lot of times, you can check real fast with IM, determine what the issue was, and if it was a technical problem, it would be nice to bring the player right back into the game.
                            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

pass the conttrol of civ to ai should be an option

Comment

Working...
                              X